Wednesday, 22 December 2010


Image credit


So it seems we have upset the Christmas gods. When Elka was 6 months old in December 2008,I had my heart set on a lovely Baby's First Christmas Ornament to hang on our tree. Off we trotted bright eyed, proudly touting our bub to buy a gorgeous keepsake. It hung on the tree for hmm less than 12 hours before one of our two indoor cats merrily hung from the Christmas tree and toppled it over, smashing the ornament to smitherens. Not put off, I popped back to the shop and bought the same one again, sure that it was just a freak accident. Well it was not to be - within a few days, another cat versus tree incident resulted in the second ornament meeting the same fate as the first. SO a little wiser, I trawled the shops for most of December until I lucked upon a non breakable fabric Christmas ball with the appropriate words written on it. Success and I still proudly hang the ball each year.

So come 2010 and its Brontes turn to be celebrating her first Christmas. I now know to steer clear of delicate glass ornaments, however this year it has proven to be an impossible task to find am unbreakable Baby's First Christmas decoration. I have searched endlessly and fruitlessly. The other day, in David Jones in desperation I decided against Jase's advice that a lovely frosted pink ball was not glass but in fact tin.

I bought said ball and much to my amusement was flirtatiously asked by the sales guy if this was for a baby niece or nephew. However, my little moment of feeling like I posibly didn;t look as worn and mumsy I thought did was rapidly ruined by Jase parking the double decker pram full of sleeping baby and toddler loudly singing "ABC" right next to the sales guy. So I set him straight that it was in fact for my second child lol.

I packed the wrapped Baby ornament into the bottom of the pram and we headed off for a walk. I even congratulated us on being so organised and getting everything done on my list. Feeling very smug, until "CRUNCH" and I see Jase jump over a David Jones bag that has fallen out of the pram basket onto the path. Well that sound definitely convinced me that the ball had indeed been glass! It was smashed to pieces and now takes pride of place of being the shortest we have owned one of our ill fated baby Christmas ornaments.

Not to be detered though. I visited a Christmas shop yesterday and explained my predicamant. They have very kindly made me a new "Baby's First Christmas 2010" ornament and it is plastic! I pick it up tomorrow and I have high hopes that this will conclude my saga!

3 comments:

Lish said...

Goodness - you have gone to a lot of effort for your ornament. Quite a funny story really :P

Mel said...

Wow you are determined! I have walked past the stalls in the shopping mall proudly displaying all of the gorgeous glass ornaments and thought "no way with kids in the house" - and thats even with ours on carpet and surrounded by a playpen!!

Hope Bronte's 1st Christmas is a fantastic one. xxx

Kellyansapansa said...

These are the things that make fabulous stories at 21st birthday parties! I love the new look and hope to visit far more frequently in 2011. xx

About Me

My Photo
Amy
I am 30 years old, am a microbiologist with a PhD and love looking after my little farm. I compete in dressage and showjumping with my horses. I have a passion for shopping and a weakness for pretty clothes, shoes and handbags. My husband and I have a gorgeous toddler called Elka and a little bub named Bronte. I am a mother who works and has a career - just don't call me a "working mother". I don't do inside hobbies and craft and have only successfully sewn two things in my life that weren't ripped horserugs. The scientist in me makes me a little cynical and I am more likely to tell you about my life and events then give you a pretty polaroid style picture and an inspiring quote. Not for everyone but I have a bad memory and blogging is my way of recording life :)
View my complete profile

Blogs I Love

Followers

I'm a Blog This member
inspiring and connecting with Australian Bloggers.

Photobucket

Spech and I

Spech and I