Thursday, 16 December 2010






It is also storm season. And don't I know it!

Where we live, the title of the area is Aboriginal for "much thunder, little rain" and we certainly cop the Summer storms pretty strongly. However, thankfully the little rain part of the title hasn't been true for the last few years since we rely on rain for our water.

But the last few days we have slipped into our fairly typical Summer storm cycle, where we have hot mornings with terrible heavy humidity that brews into beautiful big thunderhead clouds on the horizon and then rumbles into existence as a heavy drenching storm. It briefly cools things down before the wet ground steams and adds to the humidity again, leading to a new day of heat and mugginess that creates the next storm. And repeat.

However, some days you get those "perfect storms" - a storm cell that is violent and terribly damaging and so much worse than our typical summer drenchings. We got one yesterday. I knew as soon as I saw it forming that it wasn;t going to be good. And it wasn't - Our area copped the worst of it. Deafening hail, torndado like winds that tore down countless tall gum trees around our properties and severe flash flooding that resulted in our laundry filling with water. All the paddocks were under water, we lost trees and I had to keep moving the girls to opposite ends of the house to the wind as it was so terrible I was convinced the house would be crushed at any time.

Our area lost the power almost immediately and we lost it for 8 hours as they desperately pieced the lines back together. Of course when you lose the power out here, you also lose running water as we need our pump to move water from the tanks into the house. Not a fun situation to be in with two kids. Although Elka thought cooking toast on the BBQ was pretty funny.

I am counting my blessings though - our property is quite sheltered being on the side of hill. The more exposed properties around copped a beating and their paddocks are blanketed in fallen giant gums and fences are smashed to smitherens. To add insult to injury we copped another decent storm today and are told to expect another one tomorrow.

aahh Summer in Australia!



See that blue colour just above the shed roof - that is not sky, that is cloud. And that eery blue storm filled our whole sky and everything was tinted blue grey.


The start of the hail and the drains are starting to overflow from the downpour.


The poor horses hunkering down, the dam behind them is overflowing and starting to flow out into the paddock.

5 comments:

Mammamusing said...

Oh poor horses!

Melbourne weather is fickle at the best of times but this year it is unseasonably cold and wet.

I'm bracing myself for a cold and wet Christmas.

Lish said...

Wow looks insane! Especially that pic of the dam overflowing.

Mel said...

Oh Wow Amy! What an experience and a half! I'm so glad Jase is off work with you this week so it wasn't just you and the girls - that would have been scarier!

LOL at Toast on the BBQ - its amazing what you can do with one. Love that Elka enjoyed that side of it to - kids always manage to see the silver lining don't they?

Hope your property and the horses are OK. This summer has been pretty crazy weather wise and doesn't look like its going to ease up any time soon.

Amy said...

Thanks guys! Silly weather recently hey!

Mel - I was home alone with the girls as it happened before Jase was off work, as did the next two days of storms - uurrgh!!

britt@absolutealaia said...

I am so over this weather. Your poor horses look miserable :-(

About Me

My Photo
Amy
I am 30 years old, am a microbiologist with a PhD and love looking after my little farm. I compete in dressage and showjumping with my horses. I have a passion for shopping and a weakness for pretty clothes, shoes and handbags. My husband and I have a gorgeous toddler called Elka and a little bub named Bronte. I am a mother who works and has a career - just don't call me a "working mother". I don't do inside hobbies and craft and have only successfully sewn two things in my life that weren't ripped horserugs. The scientist in me makes me a little cynical and I am more likely to tell you about my life and events then give you a pretty polaroid style picture and an inspiring quote. Not for everyone but I have a bad memory and blogging is my way of recording life :)
View my complete profile

Blogs I Love

Followers

I'm a Blog This member
inspiring and connecting with Australian Bloggers.

Photobucket

Spech and I

Spech and I