Monday, 6 December 2010
I am wading through a day of childhood memories touched with sadness today as I found out that my brothers best mate from primary school has died in tragic circumstances. My brother and I are only 11 months apart and living in the country meant that we shared our friends and all played together. So I was good friends with him too and we all grew up together.

A free spirit who epitomised our little mountain village's friendly feel, he stayed on there and who my Mum was still picking up to give trips home three weeks ago. In fact he sat next to Elka in the car and when I asked her today, she remembered him and his name.

My Mum is so griefstricken she has barely been able to speak and my Brother had to take the day off work. I have spent the day with pain in my heart and fighting back tears when I indulge in memories of his lovely personality and quirkiness.

Clearly it is not just my family that mourns. This article shows how close our village is and what a loss we all know we have experienced.

A life cut short and a true reminder that we are not guaranteed tomorrow on any day.

4 comments:

a country wife said...

What a terribly sad story Amy. I'm so sorry for your brother's loss. I live in a small town, and understand how deeply a tragic accident affects the community. On the positive side, small communities rally together in tough times, and I hope you're all receiving the support you need to come to terms with what's happened.

xx

Amy said...

Thank you for your kind words.

xoxo

Deb said...

I heard about this accident on the news and thought it was such a sad accident. I'm so sorry that it was someone that you knew :(

Melissa said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your friends passing Amy. It's so sad. I just don't know what to say.
xxx

About Me

My Photo
Amy
I am 30 years old, am a microbiologist with a PhD and love looking after my little farm. I compete in dressage and showjumping with my horses. I have a passion for shopping and a weakness for pretty clothes, shoes and handbags. My husband and I have a gorgeous toddler called Elka and a little bub named Bronte. I am a mother who works and has a career - just don't call me a "working mother". I don't do inside hobbies and craft and have only successfully sewn two things in my life that weren't ripped horserugs. The scientist in me makes me a little cynical and I am more likely to tell you about my life and events then give you a pretty polaroid style picture and an inspiring quote. Not for everyone but I have a bad memory and blogging is my way of recording life :)
View my complete profile

Blogs I Love

Followers

I'm a Blog This member
inspiring and connecting with Australian Bloggers.

Photobucket

Spech and I

Spech and I