Friday, 20 February 2009

So I have been loving having my body back - loving clothes, outfits, fashion, all of the things that had slipped away whilst I was pregnant. My pretty clothes hung unused in my walk in robe whilst I wore anything in existence that had an empire line or elastic around the waist...

But things are different now (and I dont just mean the fact that my hips are wider!) I am a mum now - suddenly tottering on high heels and wearing short skirts don't seem like the best ideas. In fact a cute strapless top the other day, turned into a flashing nightmare as Elka decided it was the perfect thing to pull down in order to climb up Mum. So it hasn't been as simple as throwing back on all my old clothes.

So I have had to consider how to stay "me" but also be a "mum". I wasn't sure quite sure what this would mean or look like.

One experience stays with me - I was shopping with a fellow mum friend and a lovely mum walked past us pushing her pram - she was wearing a little black dress and some devine black boots. She looked polished and pretty. Before I could made an admiring comment, fellow mum snorted and made some derogatory comment about how stupid her outfit was and how she was trying to not look like a mum.

I have also recently read some online comments about fashionably dressed mums being indulged women who are kept by high earning husbands and have nannies, maids etc, as though once again you clealy cant be a "real" mum and look too stylish.

Why can't mums be trendy or well dressed just because? Yes its not always easy to get dressed let alone nicely! But why should it receive criticism from other mums? I dont comment on mums who choose to wear what I define as "the comfort-above-everything mum uniform" - cropped cargo pants, t-shirt and heavy colarado style flip-flops. Each to their own in my books and some days just getting out the door in something other than Pj's is a big thing! I just wish all mums could be less judgmental on each other..

So anyways back to my style... I am revamping my wardrobe - its a lot flowier, contains some very different cuts that I have never worn before and even some colours I dont often wear. I want to push outside my comfort zone - like it or not I have changed in the year and a half since I became pregnant. I think I have matured in my taste. Now I dont want to mean mature in a boring way.. I want to mean mature in a "late 20's confident woman" way. And the fact that I am a mum shouldn't really matter (hehe providing i can still breastfeed in it - always an annoying consideration in outfit choices!)... I am looking forward to winter and work as I am planning on trying some new looks.

Oh and probably a seperate post but too find the cartoon at the top of this post, I was forced to google "yummy mummy". UUURRGGGHHH dont get me started on how much I hate that term and the pressure that comes with it. I mean a celebrity is basically required to bounce back to size 0 in 6 weeks so that she can have her magazine cover with that horrible term splashed across her picture. I might be saying that I like to wear nice clothes but I am not doing that so someone can give me a sexist label as though I need reassurance that mums and sexiness can co-exist - eerrk hate it.

hehe random thoughts and rant for the night ;)

1 comments:

Lydia said...

I'm sure you'll find some fabulous outfits to suit Amy 2009. Here in Belgium, all the mothers dress very stylishly, and push around these enormous prams on four large wheels! It makes me feel like I have no excuse.

About Me

My Photo
Amy
I am 30 years old, am a microbiologist with a PhD and love looking after my little farm. I compete in dressage and showjumping with my horses. I have a passion for shopping and a weakness for pretty clothes, shoes and handbags. My husband and I have a gorgeous toddler called Elka and a little bub named Bronte. I am a mother who works and has a career - just don't call me a "working mother". I don't do inside hobbies and craft and have only successfully sewn two things in my life that weren't ripped horserugs. The scientist in me makes me a little cynical and I am more likely to tell you about my life and events then give you a pretty polaroid style picture and an inspiring quote. Not for everyone but I have a bad memory and blogging is my way of recording life :)
View my complete profile

Blogs I Love

Followers

I'm a Blog This member
inspiring and connecting with Australian Bloggers.

Photobucket

Spech and I

Spech and I