Thursday, 20 January 2011
So I am a no fuss cook. I love to cook but I don't like to fiddle. And my presentation skills are particularly lacking, I just don't have the patience. I am well known for holding up my quiche or lasagne in the dish and declaring "Look! Looks nice hey?" and then proceeding to slop it onto the plate where it looks much less alluring but (importantly) still tastes good.

The other week I put my hand up to make my brothers Birthday cake that was going to a restaurant and being served to a big group of people. So I wanted it to be good, but it had to survive a 40 minute drive and be something I could prepare whilst juggling the two girls.

I had earmarked a simple recipe for dressing up a Butter cake or Sponge that I had seen in a magazine and I decided this was the time. And it was perfect! And so delicious that my brothers friends raved to him afterwards about how good it was (yes 30 year old men discussing cake!).

And all I did: cooked a double batch butter cake so it was tall, cut it in half and - this is the important bit, filled it with cream mixed with a few spoons of lemon butter (buy it in a jar in the jam section) and dressed with fresh berries. Then refridgerated it. The sweet yet tangy lemon butter taste infuses through the cake and contrasts with the freshness of the berries, simple but really memorable.

7 comments:

melissa said...

That looks yum! I'm filing away that idea for a sophisticated cake idea. Thanks!

posie blogs Jennie McClelland said...

It's stunning, wow, love love.
I just read Donna Hay's latest cook book 'fast, fresh, simple' & there are so many cheats & tips in there, she's fantastic. Love Posie

posie blogs Jennie McClelland said...

Oh, Donna Hay also includes a section on styling tips, must admit, it wasn't long enough for me, i wanted even more!! Her store in Sydney is inspiring enough i guess.

Lish said...

mmmmm yum

Dana said...

it also works well if you mix some cocnut in with the cream and some passionfruit in with the lemon curd.

Then put a bit of the lemon curd mix into the cream and do a double or triple cake and cream sandwich and then pour the rest of the lemon curd mix over the top so it dribbles down the sides a bit - mmmm simplicity :)

Amy said...

Yum Danes!

Leesa said...

Sounds delish!! I want a piece now lol

About Me

My Photo
Amy
I am 30 years old, am a microbiologist with a PhD and love looking after my little farm. I compete in dressage and showjumping with my horses. I have a passion for shopping and a weakness for pretty clothes, shoes and handbags. My husband and I have a gorgeous toddler called Elka and a little bub named Bronte. I am a mother who works and has a career - just don't call me a "working mother". I don't do inside hobbies and craft and have only successfully sewn two things in my life that weren't ripped horserugs. The scientist in me makes me a little cynical and I am more likely to tell you about my life and events then give you a pretty polaroid style picture and an inspiring quote. Not for everyone but I have a bad memory and blogging is my way of recording life :)
View my complete profile

Blogs I Love

Followers

I'm a Blog This member
inspiring and connecting with Australian Bloggers.

Photobucket

Spech and I

Spech and I