Saturday, 15 January 2011


I was trimming back some bushes in the garden this morning, my mind not really on the job as I was listening out for Elka who was inside watching tv and Bronte who was asleep. When all of a sudden, I came face to face with this fellow!



He is quite a good length for such a small head (his body goes up and then down the branch if you can't quiet get your eye in) but nothing to be concerned about - just a brown tree snake. He is the second I have spotted in a couple of weeks. The other was bright green with gorgeous aqua spots down his sides, just stunning (I can admire their beauty even though they make my hair stand on end!)

The best part is - when we bought this place, there wasn't a single garden, not even a shrub! And we picked the large lawn across the driveway from the house for our "rainforest garden". A hard task when we were starting with bare earth and a 10 year drought. We planted palms, birds nests, bromeliads, frangipanis, monsterosas, figs and so on... and we lost a lot and re planted and we added more in and as the bigger plants grew and created shade, we could add in ferns, orchids, ginger plants, aloe vera, gardenias and anything else tropical and lush that we could find. Four years later and with a lot of hard work we have thick green gardens with paths through them, a seat and the beginnings of a water feature, which will be finished when the girls are older and less likely to fall in it..

And that little snake is a good indication that the lush plants have become a haven for tropical animals. And a good reminder to me to be more attentive to what I am trying to chop with secateurs!

The start of the Rainforest garden four years ago. That was just grass when we moved in.




And now - well on its way.. we are impatiently waiting for it to be even more tall and shady!

I don't think people with small yards can quite understand what it is like to try and make rural gardens nice. That small area of garden is only one of our many gardens and it has cost a lot of money to get that many plants in there even with lots of cuttings from our parents etc. Its a daunting and expensive process but very rewarding at the same time! We still have so many areas still to go!

4 comments:

Amy said...

Lol, this post shows me how much of a city girl I am. I was thinking 'AGGGH! It's a SNAKE! Run! Hide! Call animal control!'

Glad to see that you're actually excited to see the little guy there. As long as he stays at your place instead of mine, I'll be excited too :)

Amy said...

LOL Amy!

Mel said...

Garden is looking amazing Amy! Awesome job. Such a cute little snake too! I would double take too, but yes, very good indication that the garden is doing well. They're also great at keeping mice and other pests away. :)

Lish said...

Your garden is looking amazing - I can't believe how much it has all grown!

About Me

My Photo
Amy
I am 30 years old, am a microbiologist with a PhD and love looking after my little farm. I compete in dressage and showjumping with my horses. I have a passion for shopping and a weakness for pretty clothes, shoes and handbags. My husband and I have a gorgeous toddler called Elka and a little bub named Bronte. I am a mother who works and has a career - just don't call me a "working mother". I don't do inside hobbies and craft and have only successfully sewn two things in my life that weren't ripped horserugs. The scientist in me makes me a little cynical and I am more likely to tell you about my life and events then give you a pretty polaroid style picture and an inspiring quote. Not for everyone but I have a bad memory and blogging is my way of recording life :)
View my complete profile

Blogs I Love

Followers

I'm a Blog This member
inspiring and connecting with Australian Bloggers.

Photobucket

Spech and I

Spech and I