Wednesday, 19 January 2011

I love Miranda Kerr - I think she is so pretty and so dignified. I also remember her when I was an awkward early teen reading Dolly and she won the Model Competition, I swear she still looks just as young (I don't!).
She also had a whopper baby which I can relate to - I had a 9 pounder too. And I love this pic that she has released as her newborn shot. I's bliss, it sums up everything you feel snuggling with your newborn in bed resting. And of course being Miranda, she looks as beautiful on the outside as the rest of us feel on in the inside when doing this.
And even better she is breastfeeding in the picture. I love breastfeeding and I am big pro-breastfeeder. And of course I understand that some women despite how hard they try just can't. And that is fine, because happy Mum and happy bub are all that matter when you get down to it.
But pictures like this are great because they reinforce to the uneducated public that breastfeeding a baby is normal and that gee you can't see any more boob than a cleavagey top or in a bikini. My pet hate is people that think you should hide away to breastfeed. I refuse to feed my baby in a cold tiled parents room that stinks like nappy bins and is loud and echoey. I have always happily sat down on a quiet bench at the shops, under a tree at the park or ordered myself a hot chocolate and settled in at a cafe to feed my baby. I wouldn't know if I bothered anyone or not because frankly I never cared enough to look around to see who is or isn't watching. My breast is not on show - my bubs have always attached quickly and easily. When they were fussier as newborns it was Winter both times, and I often wore a light scarf as part of my outfit anyway which is handy for draping over the feeding side. My babies hated having their heads covered with feeding wraps (and fair enough too!) so I never bothered with that.
And I have to say I would often choose to feed at Coffee Club Cafes as they always display an Australian Breastfeeding Association sticker on their entry door. I loved that little reinforcement that they were actively welcoming a feeding Mum.
I think the worst I have ever felt was when at a friends place, who also had a breastfeeding baby, I was feeding and chatting in the kitchen, when her husband walked in. He saw me feeding, looked mortified and ran out as fast as he could. He then wouldn't come back inside to fetch the sausages for the BBQ until I was finished. I felt so uncomfortable, like I was doing something wrong. I then found out that my friend fed in her bedroom if there was "male company" in the house as she put it. Far out, I felt like we were in Victorian England!
Perhaps it is the fact that I was brought up in a hippy area near Byron Bay but breastfeeding is so natural and normal to me, I am quite disappointed when I meet people who think the opposite.
So props to Miranda in all her glowing new Motherhood. Because she has released a photo that "male company" is sure to see and it is just so perfect and sweet.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
- Amy
- I am 30 years old, am a microbiologist with a PhD and love looking after my little farm. I compete in dressage and showjumping with my horses. I have a passion for shopping and a weakness for pretty clothes, shoes and handbags. My husband and I have a gorgeous toddler called Elka and a little bub named Bronte. I am a mother who works and has a career - just don't call me a "working mother". I don't do inside hobbies and craft and have only successfully sewn two things in my life that weren't ripped horserugs. The scientist in me makes me a little cynical and I am more likely to tell you about my life and events then give you a pretty polaroid style picture and an inspiring quote. Not for everyone but I have a bad memory and blogging is my way of recording life :)
Blog Archive
-
▼
2011
(113)
-
▼
January
(18)
- Girliness on my terms
- Boganesque
- Blazing into work
- Bronte's room
- Hot or Not
- So we got something done before the floods..
- The cheats way to a delicious cake...
- Could she be any more gorgeous?
- The day Miss B started school
- Crime and Punishment
- Not sure who got the bigger scare!
- Wow
- Tragic is the only word I really have at the moment
- Getting ready
- 7 things you probably had no clue about me...
- On a tangent
- Two years can go like that!
- Moving forward but taking a moment to look back...
-
▼
January
(18)
Blogs I Love
-
-
-
The blog is closing5 months ago
-
Mr Squiggle, Canberra7 months ago
-
Hungry Hippos!1 year ago
-
RAFFLE4 years ago
-
-
Eleven6 years ago
-
-
-
-
-
Blue And White Kitchen Cabinets8 years ago
-
-
-
Dress and coat9 years ago
-
-
35 weeks, 35 books10 years ago
-
DIY \\ Giant pom pom chunky knit hat10 years ago
-
2015 – The Wrap10 years ago
-
Week 50 7.12 – 13.1110 years ago
-
Week 510 years ago
-
Welcome to Matilda's Life Stories...10 years ago
-
-
Road Wars (2015) Online streaming10 years ago
-
Cherchez la femme — Feminism and Birth11 years ago
-
-
teneal-thegirlmostlikely11 years ago
-
looking up11 years ago
-
Den længste dag (1962) Fuld Film Streaming11 years ago
-
The year with the Royal Family 201411 years ago
-
-
Best Wall Paint Colour Ireland11 years ago
-
2 years since my last update!11 years ago
-
Art Walk12 years ago
-
Europe Magic12 years ago
-
Lime Cheesecake in the Raw12 years ago
-
Close to two years on ...12 years ago
-
White Out12 years ago
-
Cheap Backpacks12 years ago
-
-
Metaphors are fun13 years ago
-
-
This is 4 and 11/12's: The Tooth Fairy13 years ago
-
Of Vice and Frenchmen13 years ago
-
Happy New Year!13 years ago
-
Christmas flea & a new venture...13 years ago
-
Life gets in the way13 years ago
-
Archer's Christening13 years ago
-
-
I know I am biased ....13 years ago
-
she had to get out14 years ago
-
Shopaholic14 years ago
-
Turning Thirty14 years ago
-
Miss Goodie Two Shoes custom orders14 years ago
-
-
Garden Mojo14 years ago
-
-
I confess...15 years ago
-
The time came15 years ago
-
stylish blogger award15 years ago
-
2010 Aria Awards Red Carpet15 years ago
-
You are in the wrong spot!15 years ago
-
Up, up and away!16 years ago
-
-
what a great day!16 years ago
-
Internet Habits16 years ago
-
Sorry.16 years ago
-
Where Am I??16 years ago
-
19 Minutes ... And counting!16 years ago
-
Grand Final Fever!16 years ago
-
Every once in a while . . .17 years ago
-
Happy 1st Birthday!17 years ago
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

7 comments:
Gorgeous photo, gorgeous baby. And good on her I say! I love MK and have since her Dolly days too! She seems so down to Earth. :)
On the breastfeeding front, I'm currently breastfeeding my third (7 weeks old) and like you, I refuse to sit in the Parents room next to people coming in and out of the toilet... blergh! I do use a cover in public though as I don't want to make people uncomfortable (bub doesn't mind it).
Kudos to MK. You go girl!
She can do no wrong!! I'm a big breastfeeder too, all my girls to 18months & my last, son, to 2 years. For me it was easy, even working full time with number 1, then twins, i was lucky!!
I've never EVER used a parents' room, yuck!! I don't eat in toilets, nor would my babies!! I could easily breastfeed discretely, i never twin fed in public, that's a show stopper.
What a lovely shot, love Posie
Congratulations on your new bub Manda!
Posie - lol at the show stopper comment for feeding twins - that gave me a giggle!
xo
She is just amazing! The 7pm project was talking about this photo, and they have Sarah Murdoch on this week and when one of the guys said something about the photo, she just looked at them and said "Are we still having this b/feeding debate? I thought this was long past" and looked disgusted with them.
I was unable to b/feed no matter how hard I tried, so if I look at a woman who is b/feeding in public, its because I'm insanely jealous that they can and I couldn't! I love seeing them do what is natural, and a happy baby is the most important thing.
I think Miranda is amazing for releasing what some people are going to call a 'controvercial' or even 'intimate' photo of her and baby Flynn (love his name BTW!). I hope she continues to ignore what other people expect of her and do what is natural. :)
That is a beautiful photo. They both look very happy.
Hmmm... I wonder what the attitudes to breastfeeding are here in Belgium. I can't say that I've ever noticed anyone breastfeeding in public, but perhaps that's just because it's not actually that noticeable.
It is a gorgeous photo.
And I'm with you I feed Grace anytime anywhere - I don't care what people think!!
NOTHING annoys me more when you hear comments from breast feeding mothers about all the people staring at them when they are feeding in public. I was like you, didn't care to look as it was the last thing on my mind. And if I was looking around (my kids took forever to feed, so I would get bored lol), I just smiled if anyone did look my way and thought absolutely nothing of it.
Post a Comment