Monday, 17 January 2011
So Bronte started school today. Jase kept asking if I was OK about it. And I was. None of the mother guilt and sadness about missing every minute of my bub's day hit like it did with Elka. Instead I just felt confident that daycare will help Bronte as she is a very anti-social baby and will cry at people if they even just say hello.

Elka was very excited to have a companion and a second school bag to pack. I surprised myself at getting us out of the house in just over 1 hour after I woke the two girls, hoping to keep that up so I can still start work early like I used to.

Bronte wasn't too keen on the nursery when we got there. She knew something was up but the disraction of new toys and other babies was enough. It only took a few minutes for her to be settled and playing. I waved goodbye and headed off and..... she didn't even cry. I stalked in the hallway watching her and she was happily eating a ball and playing with another baby and her carer. Well that was anticlimatic, I thought!

I left her for a few hours and when I returned she was tucked up in bed and her carer was raving at how easy she is to put to sleep (put in cot, count to three and Bronte is asleep, she is a champion self settler). Apparently she cried if anyone tried to talk to her but as her carer said, providing no one gave her eye contact she was happy. So a big success. I am really pleased and I am confident her shy behaviour will improve in leaps and bounds with the wonderful staff at our centre.

Tomorrow I will leave her for a half day whilst I spend the hours at the big shopping centre down the road. I have some leisurely errands to run, some presents to buy, coffee and magazines with my name on it and if I feel so motivated a pedicure. Oooh yes its tough!

My beautiful girls ready for the day

4 comments:

Lish said...

That is great that she did so well - I hope it continues to go well for you and Bronte :)

Mel said...

I'm so thrilled that it went well for you Amy! Anticlimatic is much easier on you than having a child scream the place down and cry your name - which is what I copped last week! I hope she continues to do well and its great that the carers are willing to work with her so hopefully her shyness goes with time. So jealous of your half days without work or kids!

Unknown said...

I am so thrilled she settled in well and seemed happy enough to have a sleep. How is she going wearing her little hearing aids?

Leesa said...

Your girls are so gorgeous Amy. I am so glad that Miss B did so well on her first day.

About Me

My Photo
Amy
I am 30 years old, am a microbiologist with a PhD and love looking after my little farm. I compete in dressage and showjumping with my horses. I have a passion for shopping and a weakness for pretty clothes, shoes and handbags. My husband and I have a gorgeous toddler called Elka and a little bub named Bronte. I am a mother who works and has a career - just don't call me a "working mother". I don't do inside hobbies and craft and have only successfully sewn two things in my life that weren't ripped horserugs. The scientist in me makes me a little cynical and I am more likely to tell you about my life and events then give you a pretty polaroid style picture and an inspiring quote. Not for everyone but I have a bad memory and blogging is my way of recording life :)
View my complete profile

Blogs I Love

Followers

I'm a Blog This member
inspiring and connecting with Australian Bloggers.

Photobucket

Spech and I

Spech and I