Tuesday, 11 January 2011




Images from ABC



The flooding here in SE QLD is beyond words - we have had months of endless rain, the ground is soaked, creeks and dams are swollen and now we are experiencing flooding and flash flooding like we have never seen before. The SE's major dam is 190% full and will overflow its walls unless massive amounts of water is let out into the Brisbane River, adding to the Brisbane flooding.

I have never seen anything like today with Brisbane workplaces sending their employees home and shopping centres shutting their doors. I cannot believe that we are going to see flooding surpassing the 1974 floods in the next few days - I have grown up with the 74 floods being the ultimate benchmark and it blows my mind.

The flash flooding in Toowoomba is haunting me - the poor helpless people swept to their death, the people sucked out of their homes and even reports of people trying to get out of a house as it is washed away. As a Mother, the stories of Mums and babies being swept away is like a nightmare. I can't even imagine trying to keep my two little girls safe in flood water or trying to get them onto the house roof. I hugged them just a little harder today.

As for us, well I am so thankful we are safe and our home is dry(ish). Our dams are overflowing, our paddocks are covered in water and we have some water lying behind the house but nothing too bad. We have roads cut around us and can't head east, west or south at the moment and the north access is pretty close to being cut also. But Jase is home safe and his Brisbane offices are being taken over for emergency reasons so he will be working from home this week anyway (not that he could get in there anyway). We wisely saw the weather predictions and anticipated todays flooding and did not take Elka into daycare in Brisbane so she stayed home safe with us. So in all I am feeling very blessed but edgy, as although the rain is forecast to stop in the next few days which stops our local river from flooding, we will be back in this situation as soon as the rain returns (and it will since this rain event is forecast to stay here until May, let alone that we are now entering cyclone season).

I am just hopeful that everyone stays safe and that we don't hear too many more tragic stories


The horses are just over the rain, they are miserable (they do have rain shelters by the way but hate the noise of the rain on the tin rooves)




Our dams have never been so full, this overflow section of the dam is running like a stream non stop and has been for two weeks now.



Water pouring under our driveway and across the paddock into our other overflowing dam.

6 comments:

Mammamusing said...

The devastation in Qld is too hard to comprehend.

I'm relieved to hear your well and safe Amy.

Kate x

Amy said...

Thanks Kate xoxo

a country wife said...

I've been in tears all evening watching the footage on TV. I just can't fathom the devastation, those poor families struggling to survive.

Keep safe Amy xx

Unknown said...

I am so glad your property is safe - it would have been additionally cruel after all those renovations. Just saw on Sunrise that the Brisbane River has already broken it's banks and 54 suburbs will be affected. Devastating

Mel said...

I'm glad that you're all together and ok! I have friends in Ipswitch who are thankfully safe as well, but we are just staggered at the reports that just keep on coming, and the fact that its not yet reached the predicted peak in Brisbane yet! When will it stop?!

And I'm with you - I just want to hold my kids close after hearing the stories about the women and children/babies being swept away and the bodies of children being found. It was so hard to take my kids to daycare this morning even though we're 1000s of KM away from whats happening!

I hope you remain safe - please keep us updated!

Lydia said...

You and your family are in our thoughts. Glad that you are together and safe at home - bet you're glad you've finished the renovations.

About Me

My Photo
Amy
I am 30 years old, am a microbiologist with a PhD and love looking after my little farm. I compete in dressage and showjumping with my horses. I have a passion for shopping and a weakness for pretty clothes, shoes and handbags. My husband and I have a gorgeous toddler called Elka and a little bub named Bronte. I am a mother who works and has a career - just don't call me a "working mother". I don't do inside hobbies and craft and have only successfully sewn two things in my life that weren't ripped horserugs. The scientist in me makes me a little cynical and I am more likely to tell you about my life and events then give you a pretty polaroid style picture and an inspiring quote. Not for everyone but I have a bad memory and blogging is my way of recording life :)
View my complete profile

Blogs I Love

Followers

I'm a Blog This member
inspiring and connecting with Australian Bloggers.

Photobucket

Spech and I

Spech and I