Saturday, 1 January 2011
I like a little bit of reflection every now and then. I do believe in the saying "you need to know where you came from, to know where you are going".
So I am taking a moment to review my 2010.
We kicked off the year with a lovely holiday away for our 5th wedding anniversary, leaving Elka for 5 days with my parents. It was invigorating to remember how we operated as a couple without children, even though Miss B did accompany us as a 26 week belly bump!

I worked myself to the bone, getting things organised in my lab before I left on maternity leave, training new staff and completing my research grants. I was rewarded for my efforts with a very nice payrise and later in the year despite being part time and on maternity leave, I have been promoted to being in charge of the section I work in. I am really happy with what I have managed to achieve!
Jase was headhunted for an exciting new position which came with high risk but also potential for great rewards. Not to mention that it came with a lovely (and timely due house extensions and my maternity leave!) payrise and also fulfilled his goal of reaching a particular government level that he wanted to acheive before the age of 30 (an impressive feat!).
I watched Elka grow from a cute 18 month old to a fiesty and inspiring 2.5 yr old. She has the endless ability to frustrate me to tears and make me laugh and laugh all in the one minute.
And of course we took our little property that we adore and made it into somewhat of our dream home. We drew the plans ourselves, handpicked our builder and spent long hours liasing and researching to make it just what we wanted. The builder started work two weeks after Bronte was born and it was a tough couple of months for me stuck in a construction zone with a toddler and a newborn full time. But we are just so happy with the end result.
In all it was a dream achieving kind of year. In fact so much so that we have basically acheived every little dream that I used to wish away for when I was sitting in the freezing cold in Canberra desperately writing my thesis and pining for the warmer climate, horses and land and being close to my family.
And what will 2011 bring us?
Well still lots of work on our house - we havent finished the exterior painting, we have the huge amount of timber verandahs to stain, the concrete verandahs to pain and endless amounts of landscaping and driveway work to go. I go back to work in February and I am excited for the challenges my new position will bring. I am not looking forward to settling Bronte into daycare as she is very Mummy clingy, but I am sure it will do her good.
Jase's job will get busier. I have some work trips already on the horizon. We are hoping to squeeze in a family holiday. I have plans to get back into my horse competitions and hone my fitness, I have lost my baby weight but could do with some muscle toning. We have some very elderly sick relatives so it envitably seems it will be a year with some sad moments.
My girls will grow, we are sending in Elka's enrolment forms for her chosen school and I will hear Bronte start talking and watch her start running.
We are planning a (my side) family holiday to Italy to rent a villa in 2013 so we will will work towards that.
but overall, a quiet year, a "consolidation" year as Jase calls it. Time to sit back and recover from the massive life changes and expenses we have experienced this year.
I don't do New Years Resolutions but I am determined to ensure that the smiles and laughs outweigh the stress and bickering. That the family time will glow warm in our memories and that we soak up the little moments that pass too quickly.
And I wish you the very same for your 2011. xoxo
So I am taking a moment to review my 2010.
We kicked off the year with a lovely holiday away for our 5th wedding anniversary, leaving Elka for 5 days with my parents. It was invigorating to remember how we operated as a couple without children, even though Miss B did accompany us as a 26 week belly bump!
I worked myself to the bone, getting things organised in my lab before I left on maternity leave, training new staff and completing my research grants. I was rewarded for my efforts with a very nice payrise and later in the year despite being part time and on maternity leave, I have been promoted to being in charge of the section I work in. I am really happy with what I have managed to achieve!
Jase was headhunted for an exciting new position which came with high risk but also potential for great rewards. Not to mention that it came with a lovely (and timely due house extensions and my maternity leave!) payrise and also fulfilled his goal of reaching a particular government level that he wanted to acheive before the age of 30 (an impressive feat!).
I watched Elka grow from a cute 18 month old to a fiesty and inspiring 2.5 yr old. She has the endless ability to frustrate me to tears and make me laugh and laugh all in the one minute.
January 2010

December 2010

December 2010
2010 also saw me go from being 4 months pregnant to having an almost 7 month old bub - wow! It was a hard pregnancy - I carried her all out in front and I was in pain. I was also pretty willing to inflict pain on anyone who helpfully asked me if I wasn't sure that it wasn't actually twins, as my tummy measured 4 weeks ahead! But it was the most empowering labour - a drug free labour with a big 9 pound 3 baby. I was proud of myself and what a lovely reward at the end! My gorgeous Bronte.
January 2010

June 2010

Bronte was a much harder baby than Elka - much fussier and spent between her age of 4 and 5 months waking once or twice a night after spoiling me by sleeping through before that. But she is now a very content bub with a big appetite who sleeps through the night 12 hours straight and goes down in her cot day or night with not a single peep, just a sweet smile, a sigh and a rollover.
She was diagnosed with permanant hearing loss in both her ears and we have had a steep learning curve with hearing tests and hearing aids and there is more to come. I have learnt to appreciate that a "perfect healthy" baby is only a state of mind and her hearing loss only serves as a reminder that my little girl is special and needs love and understanding.
She was diagnosed with permanant hearing loss in both her ears and we have had a steep learning curve with hearing tests and hearing aids and there is more to come. I have learnt to appreciate that a "perfect healthy" baby is only a state of mind and her hearing loss only serves as a reminder that my little girl is special and needs love and understanding.
And of course we took our little property that we adore and made it into somewhat of our dream home. We drew the plans ourselves, handpicked our builder and spent long hours liasing and researching to make it just what we wanted. The builder started work two weeks after Bronte was born and it was a tough couple of months for me stuck in a construction zone with a toddler and a newborn full time. But we are just so happy with the end result.
In all it was a dream achieving kind of year. In fact so much so that we have basically acheived every little dream that I used to wish away for when I was sitting in the freezing cold in Canberra desperately writing my thesis and pining for the warmer climate, horses and land and being close to my family.
And what will 2011 bring us?
Well still lots of work on our house - we havent finished the exterior painting, we have the huge amount of timber verandahs to stain, the concrete verandahs to pain and endless amounts of landscaping and driveway work to go. I go back to work in February and I am excited for the challenges my new position will bring. I am not looking forward to settling Bronte into daycare as she is very Mummy clingy, but I am sure it will do her good.
Jase's job will get busier. I have some work trips already on the horizon. We are hoping to squeeze in a family holiday. I have plans to get back into my horse competitions and hone my fitness, I have lost my baby weight but could do with some muscle toning. We have some very elderly sick relatives so it envitably seems it will be a year with some sad moments.
My girls will grow, we are sending in Elka's enrolment forms for her chosen school and I will hear Bronte start talking and watch her start running.
We are planning a (my side) family holiday to Italy to rent a villa in 2013 so we will will work towards that.
but overall, a quiet year, a "consolidation" year as Jase calls it. Time to sit back and recover from the massive life changes and expenses we have experienced this year.
I don't do New Years Resolutions but I am determined to ensure that the smiles and laughs outweigh the stress and bickering. That the family time will glow warm in our memories and that we soak up the little moments that pass too quickly.
And I wish you the very same for your 2011. xoxo
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
- Amy
- I am 30 years old, am a microbiologist with a PhD and love looking after my little farm. I compete in dressage and showjumping with my horses. I have a passion for shopping and a weakness for pretty clothes, shoes and handbags. My husband and I have a gorgeous toddler called Elka and a little bub named Bronte. I am a mother who works and has a career - just don't call me a "working mother". I don't do inside hobbies and craft and have only successfully sewn two things in my life that weren't ripped horserugs. The scientist in me makes me a little cynical and I am more likely to tell you about my life and events then give you a pretty polaroid style picture and an inspiring quote. Not for everyone but I have a bad memory and blogging is my way of recording life :)
Blog Archive
-
▼
2011
(113)
-
▼
January
(18)
- Girliness on my terms
- Boganesque
- Blazing into work
- Bronte's room
- Hot or Not
- So we got something done before the floods..
- The cheats way to a delicious cake...
- Could she be any more gorgeous?
- The day Miss B started school
- Crime and Punishment
- Not sure who got the bigger scare!
- Wow
- Tragic is the only word I really have at the moment
- Getting ready
- 7 things you probably had no clue about me...
- On a tangent
- Two years can go like that!
- Moving forward but taking a moment to look back...
-
▼
January
(18)
Blogs I Love
-
-
-
The blog is closing5 months ago
-
Mr Squiggle, Canberra7 months ago
-
Hungry Hippos!1 year ago
-
RAFFLE4 years ago
-
-
Eleven6 years ago
-
-
-
-
-
Blue And White Kitchen Cabinets8 years ago
-
-
-
Dress and coat9 years ago
-
-
35 weeks, 35 books10 years ago
-
DIY \\ Giant pom pom chunky knit hat10 years ago
-
2015 – The Wrap10 years ago
-
Week 50 7.12 – 13.1110 years ago
-
Week 510 years ago
-
Welcome to Matilda's Life Stories...10 years ago
-
-
Road Wars (2015) Online streaming10 years ago
-
Cherchez la femme — Feminism and Birth11 years ago
-
-
teneal-thegirlmostlikely11 years ago
-
looking up11 years ago
-
Den længste dag (1962) Fuld Film Streaming11 years ago
-
The year with the Royal Family 201411 years ago
-
-
Best Wall Paint Colour Ireland11 years ago
-
2 years since my last update!11 years ago
-
Art Walk12 years ago
-
Europe Magic12 years ago
-
Lime Cheesecake in the Raw12 years ago
-
Close to two years on ...12 years ago
-
White Out12 years ago
-
Cheap Backpacks12 years ago
-
-
Metaphors are fun13 years ago
-
-
This is 4 and 11/12's: The Tooth Fairy13 years ago
-
Of Vice and Frenchmen13 years ago
-
Happy New Year!13 years ago
-
Christmas flea & a new venture...13 years ago
-
Life gets in the way13 years ago
-
Archer's Christening13 years ago
-
-
I know I am biased ....13 years ago
-
she had to get out14 years ago
-
Shopaholic14 years ago
-
Turning Thirty14 years ago
-
Miss Goodie Two Shoes custom orders14 years ago
-
-
Garden Mojo14 years ago
-
-
I confess...15 years ago
-
The time came15 years ago
-
stylish blogger award15 years ago
-
2010 Aria Awards Red Carpet15 years ago
-
You are in the wrong spot!15 years ago
-
Up, up and away!16 years ago
-
-
what a great day!16 years ago
-
Internet Habits16 years ago
-
Sorry.16 years ago
-
Where Am I??16 years ago
-
19 Minutes ... And counting!16 years ago
-
Grand Final Fever!16 years ago
-
Every once in a while . . .17 years ago
-
Happy 1st Birthday!17 years ago
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

3 comments:
Wonderful post Amy. You have achieved so much this year - truly amazing effort. And I am sure this year is going to be fantastic for you and your family.
Hello!
Check this out, I nominated you for an award. :)
http://thehaphazardblogger.wordpress.com/2011/01/06/goodness-me-talk-about-haphazard/
Kerry xo
I'm just managing to go back through your posts that I've missed - I love this one! What a wonderful recap of 2010 - you have achieved so much! Its amazing how much things than change in only a year.
I hope 2011 is a specacular year for you all as well, and that you are able to move closer to the goals that you have set yourself (Italy in 2013 - jealous much?!).
Post a Comment