Thursday, 6 January 2011
Its been two years since I had my last skin check and living in Queensland and being an outdoorsy person with our property and my horseriding, it is an important thing to make sure is up todate.

Not to mention that Jase's uncle passed away from melanoma a couple of years ago. It was so tragic - he had a small mark on his forehead and by the time he got around to visiting the doctor about it, the cancerous cells had spread into his skull and he passed away so quckly. And this time last year, we went through a fairly serious removal of a melanoma from my Dad's back, where he had a fairly sizeable piece of his back literally cut out. So yeah I guess skin checks are something I am pretty serious about.

We have a skin cancer specialist that holds clinic at our local doctors surgery a couple of times a week - they book out weeks in advance so it pays to be organised. But they are thorough, photograph any moles they are suspicious could pose a problem in the future for reference and only cost $28 for a once every two years check up. Brilliant in my books.

And I am happy to report that the one mole they were keeping an eye on for me has actually reduced in color and that there is only one other one that needed photographing. As I have very fair skin and despite careful use of sunblock have had more sunburns and exposure than I want to think about, I am relieved with this result. I did have two harmless sunspots that the Dr burnt off for me with liquid nitrogen (ouch!) so I now have two huge blisters on my forearm which is in the perfect spot for the kids to knock!

So I am "good" for another two years... how about you?

7 comments:

Lydia said...

The medical center at my work organises annual skin check-ups.

You should have seen the doctor's face when she saw my skin type and then I told her I had spent 27 years growing up in Australia.

Happily, I have no spots to worry about, so I'm good for the moment too.

Glad to hear you're taking such good care of yourself.

April @ Composed by April said...

My work offers a yearly skin cancer check for all staff. It is meant for the outdoor staff, however if indoor staff wish to have it done, they may. This is the first year I have taken them up on the offer (it costs me nothing - so why not!) and I am due to go in in March.

Mammamusing said...

Yay for the all clear!

I really need to do this myself.

I'm just not quite sure where I'd go? I'll have to make some enquiries.

I'm pale and freckly and didn't listen to my mum as a teen when she told me to wear sunscreen.

DaniV said...

Great results! Thanks for the reminder for myself. I too have been sun burnt more times than I care to remember, especially on my nose and sholders!

When I get home from my holidays I will go and get checked!

Simone said...

I had my skin checked before Christmas and had one little spot frozen off in my eyebrow.

Amy said...

That is great guys!
Lids lol at your belgium dr!
April good on you :) although during pregnancy your moles do change a lot thanks to the hormones...
Mamma musing- a lot of the doc surgeries around have a room that does it or there are the dedicated clinics but they can be more spensy..
Enjoy your holidays dani
Xox!

Unknown said...

This is something I should really get done. Thanks for the reminder

About Me

My Photo
Amy
I am 30 years old, am a microbiologist with a PhD and love looking after my little farm. I compete in dressage and showjumping with my horses. I have a passion for shopping and a weakness for pretty clothes, shoes and handbags. My husband and I have a gorgeous toddler called Elka and a little bub named Bronte. I am a mother who works and has a career - just don't call me a "working mother". I don't do inside hobbies and craft and have only successfully sewn two things in my life that weren't ripped horserugs. The scientist in me makes me a little cynical and I am more likely to tell you about my life and events then give you a pretty polaroid style picture and an inspiring quote. Not for everyone but I have a bad memory and blogging is my way of recording life :)
View my complete profile

Blogs I Love

Followers

I'm a Blog This member
inspiring and connecting with Australian Bloggers.

Photobucket

Spech and I

Spech and I